Monday, October 23, 2006

Of Cabbages & Queens

I don't want to get a reputation for being some kind of court correspondent, what with two royal comments in a row, but I've had my attention drawn to this.

It's a portrait of Queen Elizabeth of the Britons, now at the Tate Modern, by American cartoonist George Condo, which the press are calling 'the cabbage patch queen'. This appellation is somewhat erroneous in my book, as anyone can spot that the resemblance is actually that of Captain Pugwash!

(Place gratuitous innuendo here).

Twenty years ago, when the Bank of England updated our five pound note with a controversial new portrait of a chubbier queen than that previously seen, my pal Tim commented that it looked like "the queen, but someone's stuck a cabbage to the front of her face!"

There has to be SOMETHING going on.

No comments: