Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Pretentious? Moi?

I was on my way home via Covent Garden tube tonight when I found myself among the departing opera crowd.

I had the misfortune of descending the stairs following a fat woman who was wearing a cape.

Naturally, I trod on the cape, and after she recovered from the concomittant choking sensation, she gave me the evil eye.

Apparently, when someone is descending the stairs wearing a cape, everyone else has to walk at least ten steps behind to allow the cape-wearer a full spread on the shitty, pissed-upon and litter-strewn stairwell which is typical of the underground.

I think the correct etiquette is to have dwarfs on the flanks to lift the cape over the offending detritus, but possibly the fat lady wasn't up to speed with the current thinking.

Possibly, however, she loves the smell of stale piss.

No comments: