Thursday, July 26, 2007

Overheard, Unfortunately

As I emerged from Warren Street tube tonight, I passed the hotel at the top of the Tottenham Court Road, and witnessed a snippet of the conversation between the two doormen.

They were both wrought from the caricatures of the 1930s, possibly by a brown-shirted Herges: one character was African, very dark, very tall, but with a head TOO SMALL for his body. The other, middle-aged, rotund, garrulous, middle-eastern in appearance.

The taller man was leaning back away from the too close attention of the Levantan, who was animatedly enthusing about something. All I got, on passing, was to witness a clutching gesture by the raconteur, who was saying "....and then I wrap them in ELASTIC BANDS!"

One shudders to think what he was talking about.

And in the early evening at that!

Put them away sir!

2 comments:

Grizzly Dad said...

His epaulets. The elastics help keep them in place.
What were YOU thinking?

The Non Stop Shoebox said...

Listen, I merely REPORT the news. I never comment.
Needless to say: I KNOW WHAT I HEARD.