Monday, February 25, 2008

The Wisdom of the East

On entering the service lift this morning, I met an Islamist on his way back to work from the new "multi-faith" prayer-room.

I caught him in the act of "primping" his beard in the mirror, and thus manifesting what appeared to be the sin of pride, although it was, I admit, a magnificent beard; raven black, generous in length and with a lustre to die for.

Although strangers, we nodded in courtesy to each other, and then, as a bearded man myself, I ventured the following;

"Do you," I enquired "suffer from beard dandruff?"

(I confess that I myself have recently had reason to be embarrassed by discovering a dusting upon a my shirt-front following a failed attempt to impress an attractive woman.)

"No" he replied with assurance "I shampoo it in Head & Shoulders"

I tacitly nodded my appreciation, and pondered upon the wisdom that he had imparted.

You don't get that sort of thing from a Church of England education.

No comments: