Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Cat Medium Sleeping in Tongues



I'm not usually one for A) the supernatural, or B) websites about pets, BUT:

This evening, I entered the bedroom to find that the cats of the house had already reserved their places, with the smaller girl cat on the bed, and the larger tomcat asleep on my (and now his) favourite jumper on the floor.

As I stopped momentarily to pat the smaller cat on the head, and receiving an appreciative purr, there occurred what could only be called "a phenomena".

The tomcat is not known for his verbosity. He never miaows. Very occasionally, when frustrated, he may look up at you and utter a disapproving "ma", but only very occasionally. Neither is he particularly demonic, and the when the vet described him "the perfect witches cat" , she was merely commenting on his jet black appearance and sinuous nature.

Imagine my surprise therefore when, whilst petting the other cat, the supine tomcat began with a "Maaah!" followed by a "Meeeeeooooowwahwaaheeooowahwah!", and despite the considerable volume, he failed to wake himself. It was a though he was unwittingly channelling some whole OTHER cat, and I half expected his big tomcat head to explode and reveal and entirely new demon feline emerging in his wake.

And it wasn't just me who got spooked. The smaller cat spent most of rest of the evening sitting to attention, staring at the sleeping spiritualist, as though awaiting the appearance of the whole OTHER cat. She certainly wasn't going to risk going to sleep in his presence.

Obviously, I'm keeping him under observation, and sleeping with cricket bat by my pillow, just in case.

No comments: