Thursday, March 15, 2007

Give Paris One More Chance

Spent a couple of days in Paris via Eurostar. First time since 1984!

I wasn't there long enough to be scientific about this, but the French appear to have improved. Everyone I dealt with was perfectly agreeable. They also seem to be on top of the dog-shit problem. I saw some, but not the excreta-extravanga that France was twenty years ago.

David Lynch Exhibition
Worth a look, although bulked out with too many scrap-pad doodles (I liked the note: "Please keep Sparky in, I've just sprayed the lawn. Back at 7.30")
The only painting of note was "Bob is looking at a world in which he cannot understand" which could hold it's own in any collection.

Also did the Pompidou Centre (partially closed), Cartier-Bresson Foundation & the Musée D'Orsay (Impressionists)

The galleries were abundantly attended by groups of lithe young women, taking time off from their studies, no doubt sent to improve their soles, whilst their male counterparts were given extra PE somewhere else to burn off surplus energy.

Meal: in Montmartre found myself a Bistro of the old-school, with tear-inducing cigarette smoke infused with the overpowering smell of cheese. Onion soup followed by Entrecote poivre & sauted spuds. Listened in as a sanguine French elder listened stoically, as his companion, an incredibly STUPID Canadian blathered stupidly all night. ie: "I'm going to have the duck. The chefs here try really hard to do it well!" And no-one was interested in the exploits of his college rowing team.

I couldn't get into the slower pace, and found the pavements obstructed with meandering pedestrians, but I can forgive them that. Definately not going to wait 23years for a return visit.

No comments: