Friday, September 26, 2008

Bacon

Yes, it's time for another Francis Bacon exhibit at the Tate Britain, which ages me as I can remember the last one like it was yesterday. Last time, the Nazi on the door wouldn't allow me in with my guitar and wouldn't entertain the idea of me leaving it in the cloakroom. I had to stay outside whilst my friends went in without me, and waited for them to come out to do guitar sitting whilst I went in alone (with one of their tickets, thus cheating a system that had cheated me!)

Anyway, it's a Bacon exhibition. I think he's wonderful, but I don't think I felt anything new looking at it.

However, I was musing on the notion of the "work of art" / "observer" symbiosis, only with the twist of "irritating other observer getting in the way for the sake of it".

I was looking at one of the crucifixion triptychs, when this irritating arsehole decided that he wanted to inspect the canvas really closely!. Yes, really closely for a long time! and I realised that the longer I waited for him to fuck off, the longer he would stay there. Had I turned and walked away the moment he arrived, he'd have seen that the canvas was canvas with paint on it, and moved on. Because I wanted to look at the triptych, then his interest became paramount. The act of me observing him being pretentious drove him to persist being so. Once my gaze was averted, his act became futile.

This is not what I went there for, and certainly not for £12.50!

I would however recommend the BP free exhibition of the Tate's collection of drawings, and in particular that of Tacita Dean's chalk on blackboard work.

Also recommend viewing Martin Creed's running exhibit, which is and excellent use of the space available, and surprisingly potent close up. They're obviously using some real athletes in there: I passed one lad as he started off with a skip and a jump and then BLASTED away up the hall at blistering pace. And they don't stop for anyone! I'd love to know the attrition rate in downed artlovers who had been looking the other way when this lot roar through!

No comments: