Monday, September 08, 2008

So Why The Screws?



Enormous satisfaction to be had on Saturday, when I finally fixed the latch on the glove box after 14 months of driving around with the thing hanging open, between short bouts of it fastened with fast deteriorating masking tape.

Trying to replace the mechanism appeared to be elusive as I sporadically targeted scrap dealers (they're all on line these days; scrap dealers!) to no avail.

Finally I found one. I spent £25, only to be sent an entire glove box WITHOUT A LOCK.

Then, imagine my dismay after 14 months to discover that VW do these as a standard, with its standard part number, even if the car IS 12 years old!

Fitting it was another thing. I needed three different screw drivers to remove five screws, (Bastards) only to discover that the glove compartment wouldn't budge (Bastards). Why is that? You take all the screws out of something and it still refuses to budge. It happens too often for my liking. Either that, or you remove the screws and discover that the item you're unscrewing was assembled from the other side and that you've effectively unscrewed the bolts which have now disappeared somewhere on the inaccessible side.

So basically, I was there, sat in the passenger seat struggling to complete what should have been a simple task. Getting the barrel out was a complete bastard until I discovered by accident that you just shove the key in it.

To cut a dull story short, the whole bloody thing took one hour twenty, when it should have taken ten minutes, but I got it done, and I rewarded myself with Sunday off. Mind you, when she discovers the marks left by the dried glue from the crappy masking tape, and realises that I have been unable to remove them with white spirit, she's going to be expecting me to dedicate next weekend to dried-glue removal or else.

Maybe time to by a new car.

No comments: