Monday, September 15, 2008

Can We Call It A Recession Now?

Although I'm mindful to watch my words, as I don't know where I might end up at the end of this recession, there's part of me that's enjoying the schadenfreude of watching an unprepared and poorly equipped generation hurtling towards hardship and uncertainty.

I came of age in the early seventies with the three day week, when the Heath government only had enough energy reserves to allow three days to be worked, and power cuts became a current feature of life.

My first mortgage reached 15% under the Thatcher government which was quick to hand over all the money to their friends in the city before they drove the country into the ground. In fact, as chancellor, Nigel Lawson engineered a budget that reduced my taxes by £20 a month, but increased my mortgage payments by £80! Thanks Nigel!

So having watched this attenuated period of economic growth, and the foolhardy rise in property prices where only the buy to rent crowd have benefited, I've be amused to find that people believed that, not only would it go on forever, but that it was their right.

Now we have an entire generation, living out the Thatcherite dream of instant gratification, borrowing to pay their mobile phone bills, buy their masculine moisturisers, procure cosmetic surgery and live the marketing departments' idea of the dream life. Let's see Starbucks weather this one, not to mention Premiership football at £50 a ticket.

I'm cautious, as recessions are like wars, you never know where they'll lead, but I'm inclined to cry: Bring it on old friend, let's see who comes out the other end!

No comments: