Friday, October 31, 2008

Family History X

I had a Larry David moment today.

I was in the process of scanning images in from a bundle of old family photos spanning from the 1890s to the 1950s, when I received a visit from a colleague.

This colleague is a shapely young black woman, bright and easy on the eye, for whom I have a "thing", in a grubby older-man-perving-after-young-skirt sort of way.

She knows this, but is charitable enough to go along with it, being the kind of person who enjoys spreading the happiness around.

I only mention her race, as this is pertinent to my imminent dilemma. She was visiting to ask for advice on scanning, and I only too eagerly volunteered my services, and chose to provide a demonstration of the project at hand.

In order to instruct on the cropping function I clicked on a file at random and sat there in horror as an image appeared from circa 1950, featuring my brother, as an infant with his aunt, grandmother, and favourite GOLLY!

She sort of didn't know what to say, and was young enough to be surprised, and I probably didn't to too good a job of explaining how, as a historian, I found the nuances of social context interesting. And yes, there was a voice saying "when you're in a hole, stop digging!"

Naturally, once the news of my embarrassment was out, my colleagues made use the SRA2 sheets to don paper Klan hats, and one, visiting from upstairs, entered the room, and with an uncanny Dougal McGuire impersonation, cried out: "I hear you're a racist now Ted!"

From pervert to Nazi in one click!

No comments: